Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Sunshine

It was a sunny morning with a pleasant October breeze. I came out of the house, fresh and neatly dressed, and looked forward to the picnic that was arranged by friends. I strolled down the street breathing in the morning freshness when suddenly, within a couple of feet from where I was, I chanced upon a girl, maybe in her teens, who was coming up in the opposite direction. As we crossed each other, we smiled broadly and unreservedly in a spontaneous greeting. The sun, the smile and the morning freshness was intoxicating. Then we passed each other by. A few feet down the street a friend accosted me and inquired: “Who was that girl? Do you know her?” “No”, I said and shrugged my shoulders. “I never saw her before.” And I never saw her again. Spontaneity cannot be arranged; it just happens and that brings the sun into our life.

No comments:

Post a Comment